Tuesday, September 18, 2012

10 weeks unemployed = frustrated

I have been unemployed for 10 weeks this week.  Never thought it was going to go this long.  Today is the first day in maybe 6 or so days I've gotten back to applying for jobs.  So far I've come across nothing I have wanted to apply for (perhaps because about 5 things I have already applied for were in that list).  I gave it a few days rest after my Unemployment Hearing this past Friday.

The hearing was because my former employer is fighting me being awarded my benefits.  After they terminate someone this is their standard procedure, however, I think I am one of the many few they have taken it this far with as to have the phone hearing with.  How the phone hearing works: an administrative law judge calls you and the former employer and gets both sides take on what caused the separation of employment.  Now prior to this, as allowed by IDES, if you qualify (or rather if it is determined you have a case) they will appoint an attorney for you.  Well after speaking with the law firm and it was determined I could be represented by an attorney, she was conferenced into the hearing as well.  I am so thankful for this because she asked questions and gave closing statements on my behalf that can possibly help me make sure I never have to pay back or stop receiving benefits.

There were so many lies on their behalf it was ridiculous.  Another former employee (who was my witness although she didn't have much to add) was able to listen to all the crap they were spouting.  All it came down to was they kept talking about these reprimanding emails I was sending to people that was outside of my scope of work, however, when asked by my attorney and by the judge if they could produce these emails or read them for us they hesitated and said they would have to find them.  When asked what they said the HR rep kept stumbling over her words.  The judge also started to question why I was terminated 3 weeks after they "demoted" me.  Which also happened to be just a day after the former employee that was my witness had been terminated.  I told the judge I felt as though it was retaliation, they fired us at the same time because someone claimed I was telling the office this employee had been fired. 

Now I wait another week or so to find out the judge's determination in my case.  It's been such a frustrating time since I was let go.  I want to get back to work, I'm not sitting at home eating copious amounts of ice cream and watching daytime talk shows.  Oh no, Cinderella has been relegated to cleaning the house constantly because everyone feels it's not part of their duties as part of the family.  And when someone else has chosen to do the dishes, I have to re-do them because there is still food on the dishes.  Talk about disgusting.  Ask me how many times I'm asked what I'M making for dinner for the family.  Yes, I'm at home, but I'm not lounging all day doing nothing.  I don't sit around planning out meals for the family, although someone feels that's my position in the family without saying it in so many words.  It adds to the frustration in more ways than I can explain. 

No comments:

Post a Comment